A Glimpse at HBO's Production of Sunset Limited

Only good can come of this:


I've wondered what kind of relationship Jones and McCarthy have (if any), and an LA Times article sheds a little light on that and Jones' role in this production. Melissa Maerz writes,
Sitting at HBO's offices in Manhattan, looking serious in his long black trench coat, Jones recalls what drew him to "The Sunset Limited," which was first produced by Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre in 2006. (McCarthy, who rarely does interviews, wasn't available for comment.) Jones, who has known McCarthy for years, meeting through a mutual friend, "Lonesome Dove" screenwriter Bill Wittliff, says the play reminded him of discussions he used to have with other students when he was at Harvard. "We'd sit around for hours talking about things like, is the theater really dead? Is Big Ten football better than Southwest Conference? What is the effect of television on the office of the presidency?" says Jones. "You're more open when you're younger."

He pauses, looking out the window. "I don't talk to anybody like that now," he says, his voice a little colder. "I know what I think, and I expect that you know what you think. I'm not gonna argue with you."

I'm looking forward to seeing this adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment